Sunday, June 20, 2010

Our trip to the NIH, day 1

This morning we left the house at about 5:45 to catch our flight from Portland to Chicago. This was Madison's first flight.
Everything at the airport went well, we got right through security even though I was packing scissors (the TSA website says it's okay) and Madison was bringing syringes aboard.
Our flight was packed. A pretty single girl sat next to us, she must have been drugged because she fell asleep almost right away. I felt bad that I had to disturb her twice to get up to pee.
Madison was really thrilled by the whole process of flight, and I enjoyed being a part of that. She said it was like "real-life Google Earth".
We had McDonald's at Chicago during our two hour layover.
Our flight from Chicago to Baltimore was delated a little, we sat on the runway while the crwe tried to figure out a ventialtion problem in the cockpit. I guess they got it squared away because we eventually took off, about 10 minutes late. It was a nice, short flight, and I was surprised to see wind farms in the hills.
We rushed to catch the shuttle to the NIH. We were the only passengers on a 15 passenger van.
I must say that what I've seen of New England is gorgeous. All the trees have leaves, and they are shorter than Northwest trees, but they are abundant.
Curiously, I only saw one Subaru on the freeway. Don't they have lesbians here?
We arrived at the hospital, and even though we were on the NIH shuttle, we had to disembark the bus at a security checkpoint. Guards boarded the bus and inspected, and looked underneath for bombs. We had to go through a metal detector and then they ran my name and ID through some computer. Made Madison and I wonder what kind of stuff goes on here....
At about 9 pm, we made our way to admitting and then finally to our room. It is a room for two patients but tonight we are all alone, and I have been told we won't have to share but I am not counting on it.
There is a little sofa for me to sleep on, Madison is really enjoying her adjustable hospital bed.
Tomorrow we have:
pregnancy test
Dexa Scan
MRI abdomen
Cardiology consult.... which to me is weird because she has a cardio MRI scheduled for Wednesday.
echocardiogram

Then I guess we have the afternoon free so maybe we will get to see some sights.

No comments:

Post a Comment