Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ptomaine Wednesday- Lemon Curd


This evening, we had leftovers for dinner because, well, we had to eat them. Spencer had corned beef, Madison had salmon, and I had a little dish called Epic Casserole, which is chicken, rice, red peppers and cheese. And it's not epic.

The new recipe I tried to day was this one for lemon curd, a new-and-improved method for cooking the curd so that it doesn't... curdle? I guess I don't understand the problem, since this is my first ever attempt at lemon curd, but apparently if you make it the old fashioned way, little bits of egg white cook at a lower temperature than the sugar and your lemon curd gets little bit of cooked egg white in it which have to be spooned out.

I did not have that problem. I creamed the butter and sugar and eggs and (oops) lemon juice all at once, even though the recipe says to add the lemon juice last. I guess it doesn't matter. My mixture was by no means creamy, but it worked. This recipe is easy, I had no problems at all with it. It took 4 lemons to get 2/3 cup of juice... but I didn't squeeze very hard.

The lemon curd is fantastic, and it is delicious on girl scout trefoil cookies.

1 comment:

  1. a nice, easy recipe - but Trefoils don't need any help.

    ReplyDelete