Thursday, June 21, 2007

Two ways to improve your conversation skills


1. Refrain from ending your sentences with "So..". "So" is not an ending. "So" indicates a conclusion is coming. Either conclude your thought, or lose the "So...".

Annoying: Me: Would you like to listen to me play guitar?

You: I'd like to, but I'm sort of a music snob, so...

Better: Me: Would you like to listen to me play guitar?

You: No.

"So..." is the conversational equivalent of the Sopranos finale. I am left to use my imagination as to what should come next. Enough with the cliffhangers.


2. Please, please stop over-enunciating. I'm sure what you are saying is fascinating, but I'm too distracted by your percussive Ts to listen anymore. Here's how to tell if you over-enunciate: Say "want to". If your tongue hits the roof of your mouth twice, you are guilty. If you make sure to say "and" instead of "'n" or "an", your diction coach is probably proud, but I am annoyed. Perhaps you think your ex-cell-ent dic-tion makes you sound educated and important, but the truth is, you sound like Madonna.


No comments:

Post a Comment