Friday, April 30, 2010

infinity m.p.g

I got a new bike. My first bike shop bike. I fell in love with it the minute I saw it. I got a ridiculous deal on it and I wonder if that is why I love it so much. Even if that's the reason, it's enough. I shopped around, I looked at 5 bike shops and considered two bikes from REI that I had yet to see in person.

This is my Christmas/ Anniversary/Mother's Day gift. I know that if I had left it to Spencer, he would have bought me a perfectly serviceable Schwinn from Costco or Fred Meyer, and really, that would have been fine if I had never set foot in just one of those bike shops- if I had never seen my bike.

It is a Viva brand bike. I am not sure where it was made, but Viva is a Danish company. They aren't really much in the US, in fact, mine got to Corvallis via a Canadian distributor. The owners manual is written in German, I think. Since they aren't sold much in the US, there aren't a lot of reviews online. I had to go with my gut. I guess I have a month to return it if my gut fooled me. But then again, I am no bike expert so I really wouldn't know if it isn't that great.
I know that on my test drive it was fun to ride. The thumb shifter is the coolest thing ever-since the gears are in the rear wheel hub, it is okay to shift at anytime, not just when in motion. And quiet! It is sort of a ninja bike.

I got a rack and two bags to go on the back, and I have a basket to go on the front if it is needed. I should be able to haul all sorts of groceries. I am going on a milk run first thing in the morning.

3 comments:

  1. Really nice lookin ride! I bet it looks super awesome with the baskets and such too! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Christmas/Aanniversery/Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first urban assault vehicle.
    I dig it.

    ReplyDelete