Monday, April 26, 2010

Vinegar. It really does work.

I'm sure everyone has seen internet posts or magazine articles about all the amazing things you can do with vinegar and/or baking soda. I've seen many, and discounted them all.

Until a couple days ago. My husband brought our trailer home to wash it. I went inside to clear out some closets and replenish supplies. I was really disappointed to find that 4 shirts I had left in my closet were wet and moldy.
Our trailer is not old and it shouldn't leak, but that's my husband's problem, which I am certain he will take care of. My problem is that I really liked those shirts and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get the mold out. They all smelled terrible, and three of them had actual green fuzzy mold... but thankfully I guess, no black mildew. I last saw them dry a month ago.

So I googled: "How to remove mold from laundry" and the first answer I got was to add 3/4 cup of vinegar to the washload, and keep doing that until the mold smell was gone.
I tried it, and was amazed that it worked in one load. Who knows, maybe the detergent alone would have done it... but I would like to think I used a special trick.

2 comments: