Saturday, April 24, 2010

seeds of doubt

Yesterday I planted some seeds : two varieties of tomato, catnip, lavender, Italian parlsey and basil. I will have to do all of my gardening in containers so I tried to pick things that have done well for me in the past in pots on the patio.
This is the first year I have started from seed, though. Usually I buy a mostly-grown plant at the farmers market and take the credit for growing it myself.
One packet of tomato seeds contains 50 seeds. I can't help but wonder why. Who would use 50 seeds? I figure people either need 4 or 5 for a family, or 50 bazillion for a farm.
I was reminded of the first year Spencer and I ever tried a garden. I left the planting up to him. He planted an entire packet of zucchini seeds in a row about 50 yards long. He was so proud of his nice mounds, evenly spaced. He must have worked on that row for most of an afternoon. three or four months later the smell of thousands of gourds rotting on the vine was overwhelming.

1 comment:

  1. Our garden is about half in. So far, the mice have enjoyed our efforts at early peas.
    My husband always figured that my garden was a rather expensive hobby, until he had to do all the grocery shopping for 2 months - now he is a devotee.

    ReplyDelete