Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A tax day miracle

Tonight my brother in law came over so that I could show him how to do his taxes. He is a full-time student who also works part time at a fast food restaurant.

He also is a miracle worker, because he can survive on less than $8200 a year. I can't even imagine how he does it. He has a cell phone and I assume he pays rent, he moved in with his girlfriend and her roommate. (He is getting his own place, a rented room, next month)

Here is the kicker. His tuition for half of last year was over 4 grand. Fortunately for him he does have some savings in trust that he uses to pay his tuition, but only tuition. I know because he didn't have a 1099 for any interest income.

How is that even possible? How can a person live a relatively normal lifestyle on 700 bucks a month? I can't wrap my head around it. He wears clothing and gets haircuts and
eats, although he admitted he eats mostly cereal.

I told him to go get some food stamps.

2 comments:

  1. When Jason and I first got married (it was 1993 then), we survived on about $1100 a month. INSANE! I don't know how that dude lives on $700 a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your brother-in-law, and I am sure this doesn't apply to him, but from what I remember about college 'men' is that they don't spend much on laundry.

    ReplyDelete