Monday, April 5, 2010

A new mission

Imagine if you will a photograph of a dusty guitar. A clever blog lady has drawn an unhappy face onto the shoulder of the guitar, using her finger to remove the dust in true dirty-car- "WASH ME!!" fashion. That is the photo you should be seeing here, but the batteries in my camera are dead.

The point is that my guitar has been doing nothing but collecting dust for over a year. Yesterday I couldn't stand it anymore, so I picked it up and strummed a bit, and recognized that it was out of tune. I tuned it, and googled around looking for online lessons, and I found this site: www.justinguitar.com.
Justin seems like a nice guy, his lessons are provided on a donation basis, and he seems to know what he is doing. I watched a few of the first lessons and he said many of the same things that my old guitar teacher said. But Justin is way cuter.

Justin reminded me how to make a D chord, and so I lined up my fingers carefully on the frets and plucked out the four notes, adjusting my left fingertips until they each rang clear, then I finally strummed a nice pretty D.

The flesh on my fingertips could take about 10 minutes, then I had to rest. I trimmed my fingernails and I am ready to tackle an A tonight.

Madison has to practice her clarinet 120 minutes a week, and I figure if I practice guitar while she practices her clarinet, I should get fairly good again.

2 comments:

  1. Funny - I tried to learn guitar this year and even had this awesome FREE instructor. Problem is, I have fat ass fingertips that think they can play two strings at a time. Also, my middle finger does this completely wacky double-jointed thing that not only looks creepy, but it doesn't allow my finger to bend to use just my fingertip. Then suddenly it releases when I try really hard and plucks the strings in the neck with a really loud TWANGGGG... I really would like to learn at least a few campfire worthy songs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Times are Here Again!

    ReplyDelete