Saturday, February 20, 2010

The cat story

I've been looking for a Scottish Fold cat for a while. Looking for a Scottish Fold is no like looking for a lab- they are a little more difficult to locate and often more expensive. There is one breeder in Oregon, in Klamath Falls, which for all intents and purposes is California. However, that breeder is the breeder closest to me. Unfortunately, that breeder sold a couple people cats with health problems, and those folks took their beefs (beeves?) to the internet, where I saw them and ruled out ever buying a cat from the Oregon breeder.
So I widen the circle.
In November, I found an adorable teenage Scottish Fold with straight ears for sale from a breeder in South Carolina. The cat was reasonably priced, $75 if I recall correctly, but I would have to pay for him to be shipped to me. I had myself convinced that I wanted that cat for my birthday/ Christmas. But. Animals can only be shipped in aircraft when the temperature is at least 50 degrees at all stops. So I had to wait until Spring. Meanwhile, she sold the cat to someone local.
I check craigslist about weekly to see if any cats are available, and last week to my complete overjoyed surprise, a couple in my town was looking for a new home for their Scottish Fold female because the cat didn't put up with the two-year old daughter's pokes and pulls.
My whole family went to meet the cat, and she was adorable. She was floppy and sweet and as cute as could be. I was smitten. But.
The owner asked for a couple days to make sure she was doing the right thing and to be sure she could bear to part with her cat of eight years. She sent me an email a day later thanking me, and apologizing for deciding to keep the cat. It's not me, it's her. I felt like crying.
Instead of crying, I sat down at the computer and typed in various combinations of "scottish" "fold" "oregon" "adoption" "for sale" "kitten" and then, I found one at a shelter in Klamath Falls. so I picked up the phone.
The nice lady who answered told me that the cat on the internet was a mixed breed, but a nice enough cat. She told me that she had another Scottish Fold that was just yesterday ready for adoption. She sent me a picture of a cat she called Judd who was recovering from a fractured pelvis he got when he had presumably been hit by a car, and I decided to drive to Klamath Falls.
So this morning, after setting up a Girl Scout Cookie booth, Madison, Tina the chihuahua and I headed south. 4 hours later we found ourselves in the fanciest animal shelter I have ever seen. No cages, just cats. Fresh air. Room to roam, light. And there was Judd.
He's on my lap now, we are becoming pretty good friends. Madison is absolutely in love. Even Spencer likes him and Tina seems tolerant. I think he was worth the wait, but he needs a new name. We are thinking Pea Eye.

2 comments:

  1. He looks rather calm, which is awesome for a used cat who has been through the trauma of sheltering...

    I hope he loves your casa. Tina should get over herself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must be some cat...

    ReplyDelete