Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Ptomaine Wednesday- Turns out you can go wrong with bacon.

You may remember that last week my family was needing some comfort food. I decided that this week, I would try a venison recipe.
Because I love adventure, I typed "Venison Recipe" into google and here is the first hit I got- a recipe for Grilled Venison Backstrap.

This morning I pulled the white package marked "bs '09" out of the freezer. My husband was a merciful hunter this year, but one of his pals got a deer and an elk and was kind enough to give us six or seven pounds of meat.

When I butcher a deer, I package the backstrap in 6 or 7 inch "rolls", like pork loin, and that is the way I thought everyone did it. Not Spencer's buddy. When the meat was defrosted I found that it was in fact small slices of meat, like carne asada. This presented a small problem since the recipe calls for two inch chunks of meat, but I forged on, deciding to use two small pieces strapped together instead of one chunk.

The recipe also calls for the meat to be cooked on an outdoor grill. Unfortunately, it was raining pretty hard here this evening, so I broiled it.

I thought that my family would really really like small pieces of deer, marinated twice- once in barbecue sauce- and wrapped in bacon. They weren't all that impressed. I think my daughter liked it, or at least the bacon, but my husband didn't finish his.
We decided that this recipe was written by or for someone who doesn't want to taste their meat. The meat almost tasted candied, which is how I feel about anything with barbecue sauce on it.

Also, I really missed Rachael Ray telling me what to serve with the main dish. I went with mac and cheese and asparagus because that is what was easy.

1 comment:

  1. Alas, you win some, you lose some...

    The presentation is nice, but this lady doesn't do venison...period.

    ReplyDelete