Thursday, February 4, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday: Guilty conscience edition

This morning, the first thing my kid said to me was "Hey, for Thoughtful Thursday, you can donate to OPB."
OPB is Oregon Public Broadcasting, and their winter pledge drive kicked off this morning. Madison knew that because the radio in her room is tuned to OPB 24/7. It's not unusual for her to roll out of bed talking about some international economic crisis or the latest political news.
For the past I don't know how many years, we have listened to the pledge drives, and she has asked me to join. I always tell her that I should, that I should cancel the newspaper subscription since it goes unread, and use that money to support a real local news-gathering organization. But I never have, until today. I made my pledge on line. The donation form had a field for comments, so I wrote in something clever about OPB being the reason my 12 year old is so smart and funny (even though I KNOW that she gets those qualities from her mother) and they read my comment on the air, as they do with all of them. Madison was listening and I think she got kind of a kick out of it- she called me at work to acknowledge the pledge.
I don't know if it is thoughtful to do something when part of the reason for doing it is to assuage guilt about not doing it. But I did it, and I am counting it.

2 comments:

  1. guilt is God's way of gettin you to do something. Unless you are Catholic or Jewish, in which case guilt is a way of life, fed by children.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you had a "Like" button, I'd push it.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete