Monday, April 20, 2009

8 Things the Sun brings to mind


I can't ignore the sunshine today. I tried to play it cool this weekend, and not get giddy about the weather. "Oh, is the sun shining today? I hadn't noticed..."
Well, no more! I surrender to you, Ra!
Great Aten, your rays stir my soul. Apollo, the warmth from your sun inspires me. Helios, I am awakened!

Here are 8 things that I am looking forward to now that it looks like Summer really may come again soon.

1. The backyard swimming "pool":
We are on our second blue Hefty Bag pool. We've got a monstrous one, armpit deep. Most of the time, it is a complete pain in the ass- we have to store it for nine months, set it up, keep it clean and covered... not to mention it takes up a quarter of the back yard and it kills all the grass under it. We forget all that when it is 95 degrees and we are floating on our Recline-o-matic beer holder chaise lounges. Running Seal Belly Slides over the side are the best!

2. Farmer's Market: Almost every Saturday, we ride our bikes to the Farmer's Market and buy lettuce, eggs and whatever else is in season. I usually get a pastry, too. I have an awesome bike with an awesome basket on the front, and I am awesome.

3.Motorcycle rides: We have a "Hardly Davidson"- that is, a 1981 Honda Nighthawk cruiser motorcycle. Spencer gives me rides in the summer. I put my hair in pigtail braids, and put on a bandanna and boots and a leather jacket and I look like the shit. Then we go to the post office.

4. Scooter Shopping: I am not confident enough to operate a motorcycle... but I dearly want a scooter. I shop for scooters almost every summer. I'd really like a 1985 Honda Spree. I would absolutely buy one... if I could figure out when I would ever ride it. I sometimes map out non-freeway routes to work. It would add about 45 minutes to my commute to ride a scooter to work. last summer, when gas was $4 a gallon, it was almost worthwhile- except scooter prices doubled, too.

5. Camping: We surely love to take the RV out in the summer. Madison likes camping because she can run around all she wants, and we let her make a fire. I like camping because BURNABLE DISHES! and Spencer likes camping because I don't mind if he sits around the fire and drinks a bunch of beer... because somehow, it's different than sitting on the couch and drinking a bunch of beer.

6. Baseball: I know that there are lots of women who do not enjoy watching their husbands play baseball. I've learned to appreciate the opportunity to sit down for three hours, away from the phone and the computer, in the sun. Usually, a picnic of sorts is involved. What's not to enjoy?

7. Open windows: There is nothing finer than a warm breeze through a clean house. The best we can do at my house is a warm breeze. I enjoy having the doors and windows open... it makes the house feel tropical. Unfortunately, Spencer enjoys air conditioning, so "windows open" is a home-alone thing for me.

8. Hot nights: More than hot days, I love being outdoors on hot nights. It's just so cool! It's dark, but still warm. Ah, August...

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I had some laugh out louds on this post.

    You are awesome and I think that you should wear your going to the post office garb for the 5k.

    ReplyDelete