Monday, April 13, 2009

Eight websites I often visit



I can waste an inordinate portion of my day on the internet. Besides facebook and blogger, there are some sites that I visit every day, and others that I would like to. This isn't a list of little known websites- three of them are or were owned by internet giant Gawker media. It's just my List of 8 for this week.


ravelry- This is a wonderful resource for knitters and crocheters. It's a great place to find patterns and photographs of finished projects, which is helpful for me since I have a hard time imagining things in any other color than the one shown on the front of the pattern. It's kind of a pain that you can't register right away- you have to request an invitation... but it does come, and it's worth it.

etsy- Etsy is the internet marketplace for handmade goods. It's also a treasure trove of craft inspiration and ideas to steal. The best place to buy personalized paper goods, period.

Jezebel- Gawker's slutty little sister. I have to get my celebrity gossip somewhere, and jezebel filters it better than Perez Hilton. Sometimes a little too feminist and self-righteous for my tastes, but for the most part funny and smart.

Consumerist
- I loves me some consumer news, ever since I was little and watched Herb Weisbaum investigate shady mattress dealers in Seattle. Consumerist used to be owned by Gawker, but apparently it was not profitable, so it was put up for sale. Consumers Union, who publishes Consumer Reports, bought it last year, and it has been even better. They are currently running their second annual "Worst Company in America" contest... Can AIG beat out last year's winner-by- attrition, BOA? (Countywide won last year, but BOA got the trophy when they took over Countrywide.)

lifehacker
- Gawker's nerdy cousin. Lifehacker has a lot of computer-related posts that I frankly do not understand or care about. Occasionally, though, they will make a post written for the average computer user that is really helpful. Like use firefox, youmail, and gmail. I use these three products daily thanks to lifehacker.

instructables- You can learn anything on the internet, and instructables will teach you how. You can learn how to make a light saber, a lemon cake, knit a sweater, change your oil, train your dog...

FARK- a great place to find funny news stories, and funny headlines for unfunny news stories. The photoshop contests are often hilarious.

grooveshark- you can play any song for free, as often as you want, no registration, no installation, no problems. You can build a playlist and save it. They are working on a mobile app, and as soon as that is available, I can see no need for iTunes.

1 comment:

  1. Some of these sites I've never heard of! Thanks! I just learned how to counterfeit money!

    ReplyDelete