Thursday, April 16, 2009

I've been haunted lately by the ghosts of unfinished projects. When I see a fun craft online, or when I am inspired to get out the sewing machine and make a pretty spring skirt, my unfinished projects call to me from their shopping bags. I've decided not to start any new projects until these three things are done:




1. Green sweater:
I really liked this pattern when I found it in February. I rushed right out and bought yarn, and got a good start, but I've lost my enthusiasm. Perhaps because the weather is getting better, or maybe it is because St. Patrick's day has come and gone.
current progress: 50% done
The hold-up: This sweater pattern is easy, repetitive and boring. It would be a good pattern to work while sitting and watching TV, but since I decided to write every day, I don't have time to sit and watch TV.
Target Completion Date: April 23. I have committed to entering something crocheted into a contest on the 24th. (that's another post.) If I don't finish the sweater, I have a couple back-ups, which sort of defeats my "Gotta finish before the deadline" purpose.

2. Felted sweater quilt:
A couple years or so ago, I decided it would be neat to felt old wool sweaters, cut the sweaters into squares, and make a quilt. I went to the thrift store and bought as many wool sweaters as I could find. I washed and dried them until they were good and thick. I was so excited for my blanket that I thought I would just "eyeball" the squares, knowing that the strips wouldn't be perfect. I told myself that my blanket would have wabi-sabi.
So, I cut and sewed, and now I have a wool quilt top with puckers. When I lay the thing out on the floor, it looks like the blanket is trying to make a turn to the right.
Current progress: Either 80%, or 20%. I am to the point where I either finish it or take it apart and start over.
Target Completion Date: May 17.

3. Bag made out of bags: Last summer, Madison and I saw a girl carrying a tote bag that was crocheted using strips of plastic grocery sacks instead of yarn. We both thought it was cute, and I thought, "I can do that." So I found instructions on the internet and began saving plastic bags. It takes an ungodly amount of plastic grocery sacks to make one crocheted bag.
Current Progress: 75% completed. I just need to make the flap and the strap. The pain-in-the-ass part is making more "yarn" as you go along. Also, I HATE the sound of crinkling plastic bags.
Target Completion Date: May 31.

So, if I meet my target dates, I should be all set to start some more projects that I won't finish in June. It's all about rewarding yourself.

2 comments:

  1. I saw the partial completion of this sweater and I think it's going to be awesome! If you get the gumption to finish it, wear it for at least a day or long enough to get a picture.

    You never know when you'll need a sweater such as that during the summer...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you can rest assured that if I ever finished that baby, I'm a-gonna wear the shit out of it for at least a month.

    ReplyDelete