Monday, April 6, 2009

Over before it began


The newsletter from the natural foods co-op came in the mail early last week, but I just got around to reading it yesterday. I was excited to see that the co-op will be offering their very popular Beginning Home Beer Brewing class this month. I had found, it would seem, the perfect pastime for my husband and I. I would get the benefit of dabbling, and my husband would get the benefit of beer. Win-Win!
I asked Spencer if he would like to take the class with me, and he amazed me by agreeing, in his own Spencerey way, even though he lacks appreciation for the co-op.
"Which socks should I wear with my sandals?" I think is how he put it. This is significant because Spencer usually just tolerates my goofy ideas, and waits for me to get bored and try something new. He's never participated before.

I read him the course description from the newsletter. Classes are 2 hours long, on Mondays, beginning... April 6. Tomorrow! I was disappointed, as I know from reading past newsletters that the brewing classes fill up fast. I didn't figure there would be spaces available, but I called the store to check.
Lo and behold, there were slots available. In fact, they had almost canceled the class due to lack of interest. I guess the recession has hit the hippies. The guy I spoke to said we could register right before class.
So Spencer and I went to bed, thinking that today would be the beginning of our journey into homemade beer.
This morning, I remembered that Madison has soccer practice tonight, and every Monday. Logistically, it would be difficult, at best, to get her home from practice and fed and make it to the co-op on time. Plus, today is Opening Day, and we have a tradition of eating hot dogs in front of the TV on Opening Day.
So we decided to hope the beer classes are offered again. I think we were both looking forward to spending time together and sharing a project, more than the actual class itself. Well, that's what I was looking forward to, anyway. Spencer was probably just in it for the beer.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not familiar with co-ops, but it sounds like it's pretty community oriented.

    It would be so fun to have a hobby or something that you would have similar interests in to do with a husband...

    Can't you make yer own homebrew from Googling the info?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Co-ops are hippy grocery stores. Actually, the co-op model can be applied to any type of business- REI used to be a co-op, some small phone companies are co-ops. Ours is open to the public, so you don't HAVE to be an owner to shop there, but we bought a share because that also gives us a vote on board decisions (like where to put a new store) and some discounts. www.firstalt.coop

    I have thought about Googling the how to homebrew. The beauty of the class was that we wouldn't have to invest in equipment and ingredients to see if we liked the process, and to see if we liked the beer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that is pretty cool. I was bummed that I didn't see you in the picture slide show on their home page. You should get a picture posted just for owning a share...dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I try to keep a low profile when I am shopping for alfalfa seed to sprout.

    ReplyDelete