Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I did an about-facebook.



I resisted joining facebook for a while, but now that I have been at it for a few months, I am glad I joined. I am not sure I have the vernacular down- is it "I have a facebook," "I facebook," or "I am on facebook"? Is facebook like Google- a noun, a verb, a phenomenon? It sure is getting a lot of press lately... here is an article in Time about 10 facebook "don'ts."
I have to say I think the article's author might be a little high strung. I mean, is it so tough to ignore (or accept) a Li'l Green Patch request? I agree with her, however, about the vague status updates. I have a couple friends that really should get to the point already. Jane is praying it will all turn out alright... Bart is thankful... Jemima is on antibiotics....

I like facebook because it has helped my reconnect with my family and friends, who I am geographically distant from. My cousin Megan and I have always been close, but never in daily contact until facebook. Now, I know what she is up to every day and whether or not her kids are sick. She makes me laugh every day.

I get to see another cousin's newborn baby get cuter each week.

I learned that I am friends with a London architect whose work was featured in the cover of the New York Times Style magazine, a middle school principal, a librarian, numerous firefighters,and a whole lot of teachers. My cousins have so many kids that I need a chart to keep track of them. My high school boyfriend is a computer geek. Most of my friends spent the better part of their youth in Washington State. They have since spread to all corners of the US, and one is a real estate agent in Mexico. Some of my friends blog, and some of them write on their facebook (pages?) and I love to read what they write.
I've noticed that people don't change much, which is comforting.

This week, I have re-connected with my numerous cousins on my mom's side. It will be nice to see them at our next family function and not spend the first few hours getting reacquainted. I am the lone only child on that side of the family, so I have always felt like a little bit of an outsider- my cousins always had their brothers to share inside jokes with. I feel a little closer, now that I can see their vacation photos and comment on their status.

I hope facebook turns out to be more like Google- an internet mainstay, than now-obsolete MySpace, which I never used. I don't use twitter, but I will if I have to... Who knows? I may learn to enjoy it.

1 comment:

  1. I too have told people that there's been a real reconnect between us. I think it's great! We kinda went our separate ways for a long time, but I always had your back.

    I tell people Facebook is MySpace for adults.

    ReplyDelete