Friday, April 10, 2009

I might be kind of a heathen.


Today, my friend invited me to her church on Sunday. She made a half hearted attempt, it went something like, "Here, I am officially inviting you to church on Sunday for Easter" as she dropped a card into my bag. I told her thanks, and I that I appreciated the invitation, but, uh, you know... And she said yeah, she knew, but she was supposed to invite one person.
I'd like to go to church on Sunday. I'd like to dress up, and wear a hat. I'd like to experience compassion and fellowship and tolerance. I'd like my daughter to go to CCD classes and have her first communion. I'd like to. but.
I've been to Mass a few times here in Albany, and even though I knew all the words, recitations and prayers, I felt like an outsider. I got the feeling that this isn't the kind of church where you can stop by once a week and get free wine and crackers. This is a community. There is a heirarchy.
I'm comfortable with God. I guess I am not that comfortable with church. I think God's okay with that, and here is why:
You know how much you love your kid? Would you ever let your kid die, for any reason? no. It's unimaginable, unthinkable.
God let his kid die for me. That's how much He loves me. It's unimaginable, unthinkable. He loves me more than I love my kid... and He loves me even if we have a long distance relationship.

So while I am not 100% comfortable in His Church, I do occasionally worship at this church. Ramen.

Happy Easter.

2 comments:

  1. Pastafarian...

    I'll have to look into this viral religion and see what it's all about...

    At least you don't have to give them money for them to tell you that Jeebus loves you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read the letter to the school board at the FSM site. It's so awesome. You'll be a believer.
    Pastafarianism is big here, it started in Corvallis.

    ReplyDelete