Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mitch Who Now?


You may remember my former boyfriend, Mitch Canham. Unfortunately, the distance between us (Well, actually, the distance between the minor leagues and televised games) has taken its toll, and it's time for me to move on so that I can once again enjoy baseball.
This season's prospects are few. Ken Griffey, Jr. was the front-runner for a while, since he is back in Seattle where he belongs, and his smile lights up an entire stadium... but he's kinda...well, let's just say he's a seasoned veteran and leave it at that.
So I've been keeping my eyes open for a young, handsome, talented player with whom I can carry on a torrid, albeit completely fake affair.
Let me tell you about Jacoby Ellsbury. I've had my eye on him for a few years, since he was at Oregon State. He was OSUs best (and hottest) player until Mitch came around... and Jacoby was drafted. Jacoby is from Madras, Oregon, and he is the first Navajo in the major leagues.
Perhaps you saw him in the 2007 World Series? He's the one who should have been the MVP. He was clutch. The Red Sox couldn't have won the series without him. Just ask Coco Crisp.
In that series, Taco Bell made a promise that they would give every man, woman, and child in America a free taco if a base was stolen during the world series. Guess who earned himself the nickname Tacoby Bellsbury?
Or maybe you caught his crazy defense in 2008. Jacoby has skills and speed to go with his good looks.
So you may be wondering why I haven't fallen in love with Jacoby before. I'm wondering the same thing myself. I guess he is like the kid down the street that you grew up with, but never noticed until you came home from college and he had better skin and hair. I guess I took Jacoby for granted.
Until.
On Sunday, my new boyfriend was on third base with the bases loaded and with a left handed hitter, he stole home. For seemingly no other reason than because he could. The other baserunners stayed right where they were. There was no bunt, no squeeze... just Jacoby, stealing home... and my heart.

1 comment:

  1. I like your new boyfriend. He's like the new Karate Kid.

    Hard to steal any base, let alone home...

    Sorry Mitch!

    ReplyDelete