Sunday, April 19, 2009

Things I have learned this week



Sunday Again! The weeks sure fly by. This weekend went quickly because my dad came to visit. Dad has a high activity- to- hour ratio- that is to say, he can squeeze a week's worth of "stuff" into about 36 hours. I didn't learn amything about distilleries, or Newport, but I like this picture of the distillery sign that I took in Newport in February.

*I learned about golf push carts. Push carts have three wheels, and you put your bag on them and push, as opposed to pull carts, where you pull. Pull carts are convenient because they are smaller and you can store your bag attached to the cart. Push carts are superior because you don't tip the cart to move it... so you don't spill your beer. My dad bought one for my husband, it even has a hand brake!

* I learned quite a bit about men's formal attire. We went suit shopping for Spencer today. He needed either a suit or tuxedo, either would be okay at the dinner we are attending next weekend. We started at Men's Wearhouse, where the extra-attentive sales girl showed us sport coats for $180.00. Too much money. Then we checked at Gottshalk's, nothing impressive. We figured that we wanted to spend about $200, and if we couldn't get a nice suit or jacket for that, we could rent a tux. Then, we went to Mr. Formal to see how much a tux rental would be. Mr. Formal sells their rental tuxes- we ended up buying a nice tuxedo, including new shoes for $209.
Spencer will have an opportunity to wear it once or twice a year, so we feel like we got a good value. We will see on Wednesday, when we pick it up.

* I learned that at Goodwill in Silverton, Oregon, everything is $2.99, or 5/$10 everyday. THAT is how much thrift store stuff should cost!

2 comments:

  1. Good writes! I'm glad you got to visit with your dad...

    I'm impressed about the haiku - I'm sure that in school, they tried to teach me that, but I balked and wouldn't let some English teacher tell me how to write a 3-lined poem. Piss off English Teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, don't be a haiku hater. They are easy-squeezy Japanesey.
    I think Haiku is almost as fun as limericks!

    ReplyDelete