Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Here comes The Sun





I was recently introduced to The Sun magazine by my friend Kathleen. I don't know why I hadn't heard of it before, Kathleen and I were raised in the same town and had a lot of the same interests- I can only assume that she discovered it as an adult as well, other wise I am sure she would have told me about it when we were younger.

I have been wondering if everyone else already knows about The Sun, and I am one of the last people to find out about it. In case I am not, I am taking Kathleen's introduction and paying it forward.

The Sun is a small magazine, published monthly since 1974. Each issue contains one or two large non-fiction articles, a fictional story or two, and an assortment of essays, memoirs, and poetry, as well as stunning photographs. There is no writing or photgraphy staff, all material is contributed. Sometimes the contributors are professional writers or photographers, but more often, they hold "day jobs."



One of my favorite sections in The Sun is the "Readers Write" section. Just as the title suggests, this is the section wherein readers can send in submissions for publication. The Sun gives readers a general theme which are "intentionally broad to leave room for expression", and readers submit their true stories. These stories are funny, heartbreaking, poignant and fulfilling.

The last page of the magazine is left for quotations relating to the magazine's monthly theme. Remember my post about goals? That post is one that really bothers me, because I don't think I said what I meant to say. I found what I meant to say on the last page of The Sun:

The pursuit of happiness is a most ridiculous phrase; if you pursue happiness you'll never find it. - C.P. Snow

Like my other favorite media, NPR, The Sun has no advertisements. It is subscription supported. I can think of worse ways to spend $36.00. Friends of the Sun, or subscribers who give an additional gift, subsidize free subscriptions for prisons, libraries and community colleges.

The Sun says it is "Personal. Political. Provocative. Ad Free." And I say: It's alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment