Sunday, June 14, 2009

Things I learned this week





Here's what I learned this week:





* I learned that Albany is getting a carousel... but not just any carousel. The animals on our carousel will all be hand carved from wood by volunteer carvers. Most carousel animals nowadays are molded fiberglass. Madison and I went to the museum and workshop... the animals are beautiful.

* I learned that, technically, a "carousel" has only horses, and a "merry-go-round" has a menagerie. So I guess technically, Albany is getting a merry-go-round.

* I learned that Michael Moore's next movie is about the bailout. Looking forward to that.

*I learned how to fold a burrito so that the stuff doesn't fall out. I tried it yesterday, and it works! The internet comes through again.

* I learned about the musical road in Lancaster, California. I had heard of the road before, from the Honda commercials. The road is grooved, similarly to the rumble strips on the side of the freeway, so that when you drive over it, it plays the Lone Ranger theme.
The road was once in a neighborhood, and a few vocal opponents convinced the city to smooth it. They complained about the traffic and noise- the music is audible from outside the car, too. It didn't take long for the city to realize that the road was an asset to Lancaster, so with Honda's help, they relocated it a little bit out of town.

1 comment:

  1. by the way CBL readers- todays picture is of a dragon that is going on the carousel/merry-go-round. -madison

    ReplyDelete