Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Charles Dickens wrote shitty first drafts, too.


If you had asked me this morning what I would be blogging about this evening, my answer would have been: Anything but my novel.
The exhilaration of finishing had given way to exhaustion. I was tired of my story. I had read on NaNoWriMo message boards and in "No Plot? No Problem!", the unofficial NaNo how-to manual, that it's a good idea to separate yourself from your week for at least three weeks before beginning the editing process.
I thought that sounded like a good idea. Maybe my New Year's resolution will be to get it edited.
But the thing is, I can't let it sit there, knowing it is full of typos and spelling errors. It's festering.
So today, I printed it. It's 137 8.5 x 11 pages. I took a red pen to it, but I only got a few pages in before I got bored and disinterested. Let it fester, I decided.
Which leaves me the question, what to blog about?
As I often do, I searched the internet for interesting little stories. I found this story, which includes digital images of the only surviving manuscript of A Christmas Carol, which Charles Dickens edited so much that it is difficult to read. I wonder if he waited three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment