Saturday, December 5, 2009

How to remove tarnish from silver

Since my wedding ring is in the shop, I need a ring to cover the unsightly dent that my wedding ring has made in my left index finger over the past 15 years. I have one other diamond ring, but it has a thin band and it doesn't feel right.
I do have a pair of of sterling silver cubic zirconia rings, one with channel set stones and one with a (garishly) large center stone surrounded by channel set stones. The second ring has the correct width to make my finger comfortable. It's my second-stringer, I used it once before when my starter got injured.
Years of warming the bench have tarnished my ring. I haven't ever polished silver, and I didn't know if I should buy a cloth or a dip or a paste, so I googled.
Google told me to try to remove the tarnish myself, by dipping the tarnished jewelry into a glass dish containing a salt and baking soda solution and lined with aluminum foil. So I tried it.
Here are the rings, before. Sorry about the poor light. The earring is new and tarnish-free, for comparison.I dissolved about 3 tablespoons of salt and a teaspoon of soda into about a quart of boiling water. I poured that into a pyrex loaf pan, and added the foil.In went the ring.
Madison and I could see something happening right away. Tiny bubbles rose from the ring... and bubbles = science.
I removed the ring after about 3 minutes, and the tarnish was gone. I took a photo of it next to its tarnished mate, but the quality of that photograph doesn't show that one ring is clearly tarnished and the other is not. But that's what went down. I cleaned the other ring, and here is a picture of them both, followed by the 'before'.
So, you can see that it worked. Here is the ring on my hand. Easy!

2 comments:

  1. I knew there was some trick involving baking soda, but I can never remember what it is - now I know who to call. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I always wondered how that aluminum foil in the bottom of the pan trick worked...

    I've always always always just used toothpaste. I put a little on my finger and rub the jewelry, then rinse in cool water. You'd be surprised how well it works - I will never buy silver polish - ever!

    Try the toothpaste sometime - the cheaper, the better it works. Don't need no fancy whiteners..

    ReplyDelete