Thursday, December 17, 2009

Nature versus Nurture

My daughter's room is a mess. I know, that doesn't make her unique. My room is a mess, too, and there are messy rooms all over the world. Tomorrow is a big day for my daughter's dirty room. It's a make it or break it day.

A day or two before Thanksgiving, I told her to get her room cleaned because her cousins would be coming over in a couple days. She became angry with me because I didn't give her enough notice to clean her room. After all, she reasoned, her room is a disaster. It takes a long time to clean a disaster zone.

So her cousins came, and waded through the clothes and books and toys and paper and God-only-knows what else in her room and they all had a great time. No one was lost.

On or about December 1, I asked her how long she thought it would take to get her room clean. She thought about it and answered, "two weeks."

So, I gave her until the 19th to get her room clean. I promised no nagging, no yelling, no pressure. Her dad and I have reminded her, but I think we have done a pretty good job refraining from nagging. But, if her room isn't clean tomorrow, all bets are off... and I don't have to have a house full of kids because her cousins won't be allowed to sleep in there.

Will she do it? I really don't know. She has been working at it steadily for a while, but her progress seems to have stalled. It's as if she is unable to tell the difference between garbage anything else.

7 comments:

  1. just so people know, i finished my room. it looks FABULOUS!

    -madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Madison - I bet it looks just like a 5 Star Hotel.

    Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. I desire to leаrn
    even mоre iѕsues about it!

    Feel free to ѕurf tο my sitе - green technology

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chеers

    Visіt my wеb pаge; gaгdеning tips **

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello theгe! This post could not be written any betteг!
    Going through this post reminds mе of my prevіous roommate!
    He alωаys κeρt talκing about this.
    I’ll senԁ this article to him. Prettу sure he’ll have a great
    rеad. I aρprеcіate уou for sharіng!


    Also visit my blog what is going greеn ()

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thіs is a tоpic that is neаr to my heart.

    .. Cheers! Whеre аre yοur contaсt detaіls thоugh?


    my pаgе :: low back pain treatment with pilates

    ReplyDelete