Saturday, December 12, 2009

I'm no fan of Storm Team coverage.

When I went to bed last night after 11, the Portland weather forecasters were promising freezing rain and snow in the valley. Here in Albany, we had about a quarter inch of ice on everything, and Highway 34 to the coast was closed.
I woke up at 6:15 like a kid on Christmas morning, excited to see the car crashes on tv.

But the storm didn't make it to Portland. Albany and Corvallis still had ice, but that doesn't matter in Portland.
All three tv stations had reporters at Les Schwab centers well before they opened for business at 8:00. They had reporters at a truck stop in the Gorge and on Sylvan Hill, and they all talked about how pleasant the weather was. KATU did have a reporter in Salem, who reported on the rain there.
The anchors did acknowledge that the roads were terrible in Linn and Benton counties, and they asked for reader photos and videos. We could be I-reporters!
I was left wondering why they didn't get in their Ford Explorers and drive for 45 minutes to get crash footage.

Here is how I think storm coverage ought to go down:

First of all, no one needs reporters. Just put camera operators where the roads are bad, and start rolling. Once you have a crash, or even a good fishtail, you can jsut roll that on a loop for hours. I will watch. I love that shit.
Second: We all know that Les Schwab gets busy when the weather gets bad. Also, people stock up on groceries and buy space heaters. Remove the reporters from the strip malls and get them out where the real news is: slippery streets.
Third: If there is flooding, that is good tv, too. But don't waste time showing us people filling sandbags. I want to see deep water.
Fourth: Once it is apparent that the weathermen were wrong, get off the air and return us to regular programming. You could just scroll "False Alarm" across the bottom of the screen and let us watch Good Morning America.

2 comments:

  1. You watch NASCAR for the crashes too, don't you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but I would watch NASCAR if there was a Fan Cam... I could count the "3" muscle shirts...

    ReplyDelete