Thursday, August 6, 2009

The dumbest thing I've done in a while

One thing that I am proud of is that I quit smoking in November. I've gained about 15 pounds since then, and at first, I was okay with it. I thought I was just going to be a bigger girl, which was okay, since I was pretty skinny to start with. But it sorta started to get out of control. I couldn't buy new pants fast enough to accommodate my exploding ass. The weight gain didn't seem to be leveling off like I expected it to, and for the first time in my life, I decided I needed to lose weight because I was not happy with the way I looked.

So about six weeks ago, I tried no/low carbs. The problem with that diet was that I love carbs. So I decided I would only eat good carbs- whole grains, nuts, etc... which, of course, are not nearly as delicious as regular carbs.
A couple weeks ago, I decided it was time to get serious again. This time- exercise!
So I started walking every day, and that is going pretty well. I'm up to three miles a day, and I think I have lost a few pounds. My ass is currently at DefCon 2, or Threat Level Blue, if you will.

So I'm a little encouraged because I have started to see results. Yesterday was grocery day, I did my best to buy healthy foods that my family might also enjoy. I decided to re-commit to salads and vegetables and whole grains.
Then, at Costco, I cam across the Fullbar. The Fullbar, "Developed by a leading Weight Loss Surgeon" is supposed to work like this: You eat the bar and a full glass of water 30 minutes before meals, which makes your stomach think it is full. At mealtime, you will be less hungry, and therefore eat smaller portions, thus reducing your caloric intake.

This sounded reasonable to me, and the bars came in peanut butter flavor, so I bought a box.
I tried one last night, and 30 minutes later, I was satisifed with a small sandwich for dinner.

Today, I got to thinking.
Fullbars may be the dumbest thing ever, because they are 170 calories. I am sure I didn't shave 170 calories off my dinner... I mean, sure I ate less at that meal, but on the day, my caloric intake was probably the same. I could probably get the "full stomach" feeling with just the glass of water.

I bought snake oil. Ugh.

2 comments:

  1. "been there, done that, bought the T-shirt"

    We have all done it; some of us more than once.

    I am still convinced that all I have to do is BUY exercise clothes and equipment, not actually use them.
    Put the Fullbar in your glovebox for 'emergency food', it might save you a stop at McDonald's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be thankful that Costco generously takes snake oil back and doesn't even look down on you.

    I'm thankful that there's not a DefCon level for my ass because it's off the charts.

    Good for you for walking! I shall 'single white female' your idea and begin when I get back from camping.

    ReplyDelete