Monday, August 10, 2009

Eight things about my Grandma Kay

Tomorrow is my Grandma Kay's 89th birthday. She is the matriarch of my dad's family, she didn't remarry after my grandpa died in 1980.

* She has her own exclamation. You and I may say "Geez!" or "Shit" or "What the Hell?", but Kay says, "Here!Here!Here!" Shes the only person on earth that says it. I think her headstone should say Here Here Here lies Kay.

* She has her own cheer. Give 'em the axe, the axe, the axe!
Where?
Right in the neck, the neck, the neck!

*She gets her excercise. Grandma used to walk everywhere, and she'll tell you all about it. Now that she's older, she does laps around her coffee table for a half hour every day. It keeps her young.

*She has her own phonetic system. Drink pouches are "caprishuns." Salad dressing (and Romans) are "Eye-talian." They eat "Par-MAY-zee-un" cheese. And don't get me started on the mispronunciations of the Mariners' names.

* Which reminds me of this funny story: She was trying to tell me about my cousin's girlfriend, who teaches kids with reading disabilities. She said, " She teaches the kids, you know, they look at the word, and it says one thing, but they see another, like the letters are all mixed up... What's that called? Dilexis?"

* She is a dedicated fan of Mariners defense. She watches all the games she can, but if the game is close, she will look away when the Mariners are up to bat. It makes her too nervous.

* She remembers birthdays, anniversaries, and other holidays. She's got a whole lot of grandkids and great grandkids, and she hasn't forgotten anyone yet. Even in-laws get cards.

* She is sometimes hilariously inappropriate. *My cousin Megan is currently away from her computer. When she returns and reads this, I invite her to use the comments to relay the story of grandma quizzing her about 69 in the mall.

3 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Kay! Here, Here, Here's to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma spoke with my sister on her birthday. She told her that Diane, Rick and Jo took her to lunch for her birthday. They took her to the place in White Center where she orders spaghetti. She went on to explain that Rick and Jo ordered the round things. My sister wasn't sure if it was some type of specialty food, so she began asking, "calzone?" No... "pizza?" YES! Pizza - the round things are pizza.

    Camping, was interesting.

    She's going to Disneyland with us at the end of September too. Word is that her and my brother are going to be hotel roomies. Like last time, my dad will probably make her sit in the same spot for 3 hours to hold our spot for the parade. OH, and the Saturday we are there will, once again, be Anaheim Gay Days. You know how she loves her gays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I could have interpreted for you. I have been through the round thing guessing game when she told me about pizzas for Christmas eve.
    The things you order and they bring them.

    ReplyDelete