Thursday, August 13, 2009

If only I had more time to dabble...

My guitar laughed at me the other day. I picked it up, inspired and strummed a couple easy chords... then my fingers started to hurt and I couldn't remember any more chords. Not like riding a bike, apparently. So I think that when school starts, I will start practicing my guitar again in earnest while my daughter practices her clarinet. If two hours per week is good enough for her, I ought to be able to do it, too.

Lately, though, I have been thinking a lot about photography. This is entirely due to facebook. I have a cousin who is an excellent photographer, and my husband went to high school with a gal who has her own studio.
I could do that, I think to myself. I could take a class, or check out a book from the library. Oh yes. I could get an old but fully functional Nikon camera, it wouldn't have to be digital to fool around with. Once I got good, I could invest in a really nice camera. Getting new stuff is an awesome side effect of dabbling. I took photography in 4H, and I won a blue ribbon at the state fair... I think that proves that I have some natural talent, right?

Who am I kidding? My camera would just be laughing at me in a couple years.

3 comments:

  1. i agree. we could play songs we both mnow and youve gotten good at photography. you just gotta stick with it. make them hobbies.
    - madison

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think anyone can be a good photographer with the right camera. The pictures I take aren't really that great...but thank you for saying that.

    unless you were talking about Jo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your photos are really good, but I was talking about another cousin who takes pictures for pay. She does cool stuff with depth of field and whatnot.

    ReplyDelete