Tuesday, August 11, 2009

mommy crack does not equal "great."



mindbump suggested by Blogletting.com

"Describe the last great book you read."

The Twilight books were good- I will say that Stephenie Meyer has a gift for storytelling, and I appreciate the fast pace of her books. I don't think they were"great" books, however- There were no opportunities to reflect on any deeper symbolism, no complicated characters. Just hot vampires.

So the last great book I read was The Four Agreements by Miguel Ruiz. It's a short book that Sr. Ruiz claims can transform a life. It didn't transform mine, but it did make me think.

Ruiz, a healer who decsended from a long line of Toltec healers, tells us that if we live our life according to these four principles, or agreements, we will have happiness and peace. They are:
*Be Impeccable with Your Word
*Don't take Anything Personally
*Don't Make Assumptions
*Always do Your Best

Sounds pretty straightforward, because it is. If you are a good, honest, hardworking person who realizes that it isn't about you, you will be happy. I already knew that.

The part that made me think was how Ruiz describes our life. I am paraphrasing when I say that we are all stars of our own movies, and all our movies are playing at the same time. We may be a supporting character in someone else's movie, but we should remember that their movie is about them.
This is an affront to my narcissism. Perhaps it is because I am an only child, or perhaps it is because I am human- I have to constantly remind myself that I am not the star of my husband's movie, or my daughter's. I think I might be the star of my Mom's, though. ( I kid, I kid)

So I either have more reading to do, or the Toltecs are full of shit.

1 comment:

  1. ahhh... do not make assumptions my... mother i guess

    - madison

    ReplyDelete