Sunday, January 24, 2010

8 things you should buy at the thrift store

I admitted last week that I find it difficult to pay full price for anything. Even if it's something my child needs, right now, I will see if I can find it on sale somewhere.
To that end, I do a fair amount of shopping on Craigslist and eBay, and at thrift stores. There are certain items that I think should almost always be bought used, because the new-to-used cost ratio is more ridiculous than that of automobiles. While compiling my list, I noticed that many of these items share certain qualities: 1. They don't make them like they used to, and 2. Hard, non-porous surfaces that are easy to clean.
Here they are:

1. Umbrellas. Thrift stores are full of lost-and-found bins, and I suspect that umbrellas are one of the most often lost items. They can be had for two or three dollars, as opposed to over twenty brand-new.

2. Staplers, and other office supplies. According the the (pun alert) Staples catalog on my desk, a new Swingline stapler runs $27.99. I can't imagine paying more than three dollars at a thrift store.

3. Knitting needles, crochet hooks: As long as the aluminum needles aren't warped, used knitting needles are an excellent value, at no more than a dollar a pair. New, five or six bucks.

4. lawn sprinklers fall into the #1 category. If you can find a heavy cast iron sprinkler that looks 20 years old or so, grab it, as long as it is free of rust. You may have to replace a gasket, but those cost pennies. Today's sprinklers are pieces of crap.

5. Coleman camp stoves can be had for between 10 and 15 dollars at a thrift store, comparable new models cost upwards of $65. There aren't many moving parts, so there isn't much that can go wrong with these stoves. Look for clean green machines.

6. Small kitchen appliances are often donated when kitchen cupboards are purged. Thrift store shelves are crowded with waffle makers, food processors, blenders, coffee makers, toasters, bread makers, George Foreman Lean Mean Fat Fighting Grilling Machines and Ronco Showtime rotissieres.
Let's face it, your new gadget is likely going to sit in your cabinet until your next purge, you might as well save yourself some cash by buying used. Trust me, you'll find many machines that appear to have never been used.

7. Tupperware- I am kind of a Tupperware snob, in that I prefer the real thing. (Although the snap-lock rectangles at Costco are quite nice) Real Tupperware retains its shape, repels tomato stains, seals every time, and is microwave safe. Unfortunately, it is also really expensive, and you have to order from a Tupperware lady, which means hosting or attending a Tupperware party.
Keep your eyes open at the Salvation Army, where a bowl and lid cost a buck or two. Harvest Gold is making a comeback!

8. Books. Unless they are for gifts, I never buy new books. In deference to independent booksellers, I often give new books as gifts- but the best independent book sellers I know, the Book Bin and Powell's, sell used books alongside new.

Next week- 8 things you should NEVER buy at the thrift store.

No comments:

Post a Comment