Sunday, January 31, 2010

Things I learned this week- Or rather, things I did not learn this week edition

Wow. I wish I could recall all the answers to the questions at Science Bowl that I could not answer. I learned that my attention span defintiely has limits. After 7 hours of multiple choice and short answer questions, I found it difficult to pay attention any more, especially when I didn't understand the questions anyway. Here is what I did learn:

* There is no recording of any kind allowed during competition. No video, no audio, no paper and pencil-o.

* The Beaverton School district has Summa Academies at two middle schools, Meadow Park and Whitfield. Both these schools had two teams at SB. In order for students to be admitted to Summa, they must provide written essays, recommendations from teachers, and score in the 99th percentile in ALL state tests. It's like two MIT junior highs.

* I learned the difference between center of mass and center of gravity, thanks to the lunchtime entertainment, a juggler/physicist/comedian. Good stuff.

*I learned that the moon has a "waxing gibbous" stage. (But I did not learn what that means, exactly... I suspect the answer may show up later in the comments.)

2 comments:

  1. If you are expecting me to provide the answer - you are sol. ask the child.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha (it's right before a full moon)

    -madison

    ReplyDelete