Saturday, January 16, 2010

A great day, and bargains, to boot!

Yesterday was one of those everything-goes-right days. After I dropped my daughter off at school, I went to get my hair cut, and it turned out nice, just the way she did it last time. So at long last, I have found a stylist I am happy with. She doesn't talk too much, her breath is good, and she can work a pair of scissors.
Since I had good hair, I thought I could go do a little shopping. My first stop was Walgreen's, to buy a box of hair color- I noticed in the salon that the salt is busting free of the pepper.
Then, I went to Old Navy. They were having a huge 50% off clearance sale. I bought 4 shirts and a pair of jeans for $14.
I decided to walk through the mall because I need a lamp and pajamas. I looked at Ross, no luck. So I headed to Target. On my way to Target, I saw that Waldenbooks in the mall is going out of business, and all their books were 65% off, and all their gifts were 80% off. I stocked up for Valentine's Days and Birthdays and Christmases to come.
At Target, no lamp or PJs, but they did have a super cute pair of earrings marked down from $24.99 to $6.49.

I was so pleased with my bargains that I decided to push my luck.

Back in November, I was shopping for boots to wear with jeans and skirts. At one point, after a long day of shopping for something else, I saw this pair of boots at Fred Meyer:
They were Born brand boots, I remember that because Madison has worn the same style of Born shoes since kindergarten. I have a pair of Born clogs, they really are well-made, comfortable shoes. I was surprised to see them at Fred Meyer.
I tried them on. They were so soft and comfortable. I didn't buy them because they weren't on sale, (I have a hard time paying full price for anything) and we still had Christmas shopping to do.
When I got home, I googled the boots to see if they were on sale anywhere else. No luck. But I did find that Born has expanded into three or four lines. One is Born Concept, another is Born Crown. I assume that Born Concept is a lower-end line, since they are at Fred Meyer, but the shoes are leather and they all appear to be well made.
I eventually bought these Born boots at Nordstrom Rack:
They are super comfortable, and they go with everything, but I wish they had a heel. I did see a few Born Crown shoes at Nordstrom, they were obviously higher end. They looked hand-sewn.

Okay, back to yesterday.

I decided to go to Fred Meyer to test my shopping karma. Into the shoe department I walked. I had a feeling that if they still had the boots, they would be on clearance, so I walked back to that section, where an employee was sorting shoes. She asked if she could help me.

"Yeah," I said." Before Christmas, I tried on a pair of Born boots here, they had a small heel, and a buckle... "
"What kind of boots?"
"Born. Born Concept or Born Crown, maybe. I forget. I know they were Born something."
"We don't carry those. Were they Skechers?"
"No, they weren't Skechers." Hell no they weren't Skechers.
"Union Bay?" She rattled off 5 or 6 more crappy shoe brands. LA Gear might have been one. Obviously, we weren't communicating.
"Um, no. I'm just going to look around."
I took about 3 steps and found a box of Born Concept shoes. I pulled the box off the shelf and showed it to her.
"They were Born Concept, just like these shoes."
The logo on the box looked like this:
"Oh!" she said."Bocs!"

Yes, lady, Bocs. You win. Now can you help me find the boc boots? The only pair she had left were size 6. They were, however, on clearance, and Fred Meyer was having a 40% off clearance event, which meant that the boots were marked down to $75.00.
I asked her if she thought another store would have them. I could tell she was getting irritated with me. She told me that she called around to every store in Oregon many times looking for these boots during the Christmas shopping season, and she was pretty sure that no one had them.
I asked her if she could check the Corvallis store. Just for kicks.
She did, and they had two pairs left: One size 11, and one size 8 and a half, which I now own.
My very own Bocs.

1 comment:

  1. Hilarious - BOCS!

    I'm thinking I may have to hit Old Navy, although, I'm pretty sure I don't want to buy my kids anymore clothes - I have a hard time keeping up with washing the ones they already have.

    Still laughing about the bocs. That's the best.

    ReplyDelete