Sunday, January 3, 2010

Things I learned this week- Road Trip Edition

A good way to learn lots of things in a short period of time is to go on a road trip. We were on the road for 4 days, 3 nights- about 800 miles, 14 driving hours. Here's what I learned.

* I learned that it isn't all about ME anymore. At my mom's house, my mom was suffering with a back injury, and her pain took most of her attention. She wasn't able to properly dote. Any doting she could muster was reserved for her granddaughter. I guess it is all part of growing up.
Mom and Madison tried to make sandwich buns for french dip sandwiches, using the Five Minutes a Day bread recipe. They divided the dough mom had in the fridge into 6, and hoped the loaves would rise a little in the oven. They didn't, so grandpa went to the grocery store for hoagie rolls and we had delicious breadsticks that evening with our homemade ravioli, which was delicious.
above, the raviloi as it (they?) dried.

On New Year's Eve, Spencer and I met my friend Jeremy at one of the two taverns in Naselle. It had been about 20 years since I laid eyes on Jeremy, but we fell into conversation easily and naturally. I learned that
*Facebook eases the awkward "So, what have you been up to?" "Oh, you know, a little of this, a little of that" familiarity/formality of reunions.
We had a couple beers and caught up, then karaoke started. I couldn't help but notice the overwhelming lack of talent in the room.

The next day, we headed north to Oak Harbor where Spencer's dad lives. We saw hundreds of elk during the first hour of our trip. Here are a few of them. I didn't learn anything I didn't know about elk.

On our way to Oak Harbor, I texted back and forth with my cousin Megan, who was using her computer to help me with my search for an I am Not a Paper Cup. We decided to get together on the 2nd and conduct a grid search of Lakewood Mall.

We arrived in Oak Harbor in time for the Rose Bowl kickoff. Spencer's dad and stepmother had two tasty pizzas from Papa Murphy's waiting for us. I didn't think I could learn anything from take and bake pizza, but I did.
* I learned that there are things on menus that may taste better than the things I normally order. This surprised me. For as long as I can remember, I have ordered Canadian bacon and pineapple pizza. If Hawaiian was not an option, I would order salad. These pizzas, one a stuffed five meat affair, and the other a savory Italian pie with bruschetta, opened my eyes to variety, which I hear is the spice of life.

Spencer's dad has the two most wonderful dogs on Earth, Max and Scout. They are cute, affectionate, and better behaved than I am. Here they are, Max is the elder gentleman.Here is the view from the couch at my in-laws.Breathtaking, isn't it?

We played Pictionary Man, which Madison received as a gift. It's another game we can play when we have company.
Spencer's parents' house is in a constant state of remodel. Currrently, the master bedroom is under construction, so they have moved their things to the guest bedroom, which is where they insisted we sleep. They slept on couches. I slept like a rock, because my mother-in-law has done what I have often only dreamed of: pushed two twin beds together and pretended, kind of, that they are one king bed.
* I learned the secret of a good night's sleep. I say "kind of" because the beds were made up with separate twin sized sheets and blankets, but were covered with one bedspread. I was able to toss and turn without disturbing Spencer. I could hog all the sheets I wanted, and he couldn't give me a dutch oven. Even though we both slept well, we both agreed that the arrangement would have been better with one king-size top sheet and blanket.

We left Oak Harbor early Saturday morning, headed for my dad's house in Tacoma. He and Spencer had tenatively planned a golf game, during which I was hoping to meet Megan to search for coffee cups. The weather cooperated, so Spencer and dad headed to the golf course and Megan and I met at the mall.
Our first stop was Bed, Bath and Beyond. No IANAPC, But they did have knock-offs for $8, so we each got one. The knock-offs may end up being better cups, they appear to hold twice as much coffee as the original. Here is my I am Not an I am not a Paper Cup:
We also both got As Seen On TV Twin Draft Guards. I am fairly sure that this is the first As Seen on TV product I have ever bought. (Although I really wanted some of those awesome K-tel records)
* I learned the Twin Draft Guards, As Seen on TV, really work as advertised. After we removed the carpet (yes) from our kitchen and installed a slate floor, we were left with a 1/2 inch gap under the door to the garage. I was amazed this morning when the floor in front of the door wasn't even cold. I checked with Megan and hers works just as well. Ten dollars well spent.

2 comments:

  1. Draft guards - definitely my first ASoTV purchase, and definitely worth it. It beats having a towel there that no one but myself remembers to slide back up against the door.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always wondered how well those draft gaurds might work.
    I still think you could have upped the talent quotient in the room if you had broken into song, or at least given us someone else to make fun of.

    ReplyDelete