Saturday, January 9, 2010

A victory for cheeseburgers everywhere.

This month, V Magazine celebrates average size women everywhere by featuring plus size models. Here are some beautiful photos from the issue:
The women are gorgeous. I wish they didn't get an issue all to themselves. Having a Size Issue is sort of like having a Black Friend. I think it's a move in the right direction, though, and someday I hope that fashion magazines, particularly those aimed at young girls, will feature models of all sizes without any hoo-hah or self-congratualtion about how open-minded editors, designers and photographers are becoming.

Interestingly, the magazine has a piece titled "One Size Fits All", which shows one outfit on a skinny model, and the same outfit on plus-size Crystal Renn, who I adore. Here, let me show you.
Here is a link to more of the feature.

I think this series of photos is revealing, in that they show that the real problem with the fashion industry is not that the models are too fat or too thin or wear too much makeup or are too airbrushed. The real problem is that the clothes are hideous.

2 comments:

  1. Hard to believe they consider Crystal plus-sized. I think that's a bunch of crap. While she's not model thin, I wouldn't lump her into the plus-sized category.

    Still a slap in the face.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with 12&9 on this

    ReplyDelete