Sunday, January 17, 2010

Things I learned this week- Rush Limbaugh is a ratard edition.

This week, I saw The Hangover. (rented it from RedBox.) So this week, I learned what all the man-purse jokes are about. If you haven't seen it, it's defintiely worth your dollar just to fall in love with Alan.

I also learned:
* Do not try to shop at Ikea on "Kids Eat Free" day. The store is all clogged up with people who saved $2.49 per each kid they fed. Or, maybe it is just Portland. I went shopping today with my friends and it sure made me appreciate Albany, "Where a Checkstand is Always Open!"

* I learned that selling on eBay is expensive. I sold my dad's putter for $192.50 plus $20.oo shipping.
I paid eBay $19.50
I paid PayPal $6.50
I paid FedEx $21.50

I could have done the shipping for less, had I had any money in my PayPal account. I was not aware that there was such a thing as a PayPal "Account". I thought PayPal just did debit transactions for everyone. Not so.
When you sell something on eBay, if the buyer pays with PayPal, the funds are credited to your Account, but they are not available for 21 days. This makes sense, in case there is a problem with the merchandise or the payment to PayPal. So, at the end of the sale, the buyer put 212.50 into what amounts to PayPal escrow for me.
PayPal has a really great partnership with UPS, so that sellers can sign up and print UPS shipping labels from home. There is no fee for this service, and sellers get good commercial UPS rates. I tried to print a label, but I could not because there were no available funds in my PayPal Account. I could have transferred money from my bank account to my PayPal account, but PayPal told me that those funds might not be available for three or four days. Since I did not want to wait that long to ship the putter, I sent my husband to the UPS store to ship the club.
Next time I sell something on eBay, I will be sure to transfer a little bit of money into my PayPal account so that I can ship right away.

* I learned that rechargeable batteries just aren't good enough for my camera. It works fine now, the problem was the batteries. I still want a new one.

* Much to my chagrin, after congratulating myself for unlocking the "Advanced" level on many of the wii Fit games, I learned that there is an "Expert" level. So Hurray, more challenges.

1 comment:

  1. This is why I Craigslist local only.
    Once you are set on the purchase, there is no going back is there? That poor camera didn't even get a chance.

    ReplyDelete