Monday, November 16, 2009

8 things about quitting smoking


Wednesday is a big day here, two CBL readers celebrate birthdays, and it will be the 365th day in a row that I haven't smoked. Here are some thoughts about that:

* I wish there were magic cigarettes, I know I have said this before, that I could smoke only once in a while. I think I would probably go through 3 or 4 of these a month.

* I've gained about 15 pounds in a year. I don't think they are the most attractive pounds, either. seven or eight of them are on my face.

* I haven't been sick in a year.

* I love that I don't have to go outside in the cold and wet.

* I love that I can go places overnight and not have to worry about how I am going to smoke.

* At the conservative estimated price of $4.50 per pack ( I see that they are now over $5!) I have saved $1642.50. I don't know where the hell that money is, though. Perhaps I ate it.

* Food doesn't taste any better. That's a lie. It's just that how do you know when to stop eating if you can't have a cigarette afterward?

* Quitting smoking is, I think, the hardest thing I have ever done, and the thing I am most proud of. I recommend it. But also, on the other hand, I don't want to be preachy. I'm not anti- smoking. I still inhale extra-deeply as I walk past smokers.

1 comment:

  1. I have it on pretty good authority that your taste will come back - just not within a year.

    I am proud of you, too.

    ReplyDelete