Monday, November 2, 2009

Eight things about the first two days of NaNoWriMo


* First of all, I have been surprised at how easily the words flow from my mind to my keyboard. I have sat with hands curled above the keys for twenty minutes, waiting for inspiration to strike, when blogging- before giving up and writing a haiku. Noveling is fun!

* If you work with more than one computer, you need dropbox. It's a free data hosting service that stores your files and lets you access them from any computer. If both of your computers are hooked to the internet at the same time, files saved to your dropbox will update in real time. This has been very helpful over the past few days, and I am sure it will come in handy over the next 28.

* Mennonites won't take oaths, because to them, an oath is a promise to tell the truth, which implies that a person isn't bound to be honest without an oath. Intriguing.

* I like writing at write-ins. Tomorrow there will be one in Albany, as opposed to Corvallis, where there was one tongiht that I skipped. I'm looking forward to going tomorrow. I like the cameraderie.

* There is a state-wide write-in scheduled for the 22nd at the aquarium in Newport, and I want to go. I would like to finish my novel there.

* I think that one of the reasons I am doing so well (I have over 5,000 words already, the challenge is to write 50,000) is that I have learned to just get words on the screen. When I blog, sometimes, my aim is just to get something typed so I can hit the publish button and get to bed. I rarely proofread or edit. I think this skill (or non-skill) helps me. After all, I am not aiming to write a finished product here, I am aiming for a "shitty first draft" (thanks to Anne Lamont, author of Word by Word, for permission to write the SFD)

* It is surprisingly exhilirating to create.

* I must apologize in advance that for the next month, my blog is my red-headed stepchild. Anything remotely interesting I come across is going into the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment