Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I discover a prejudice or two

Today I discovered that I am prejudiced against Mary Kay Ladies. I was trying to think of a spiteful, terrible, lonely, two-faced woman. What would she do for a living? Sell Mary Kay!
I don't know why I feel this way about Mary Kay ladies. I like Mary Kay products. I don't have anything against home-based multi-level marketing companies like Scentsy, Pampered Chef, Tupperware...In fact, I go out of my way to support the women who sell these things. I once was an Avon lady, and that was a good experience- I don't do it anymore because I don't like to sell things... but I sure like to buy things! And with Avon, the only up-front cost is $10.oo. You don't even pay for your product until 2 weeks after you get it.
But, I don't think it's the Avon vs. MaryKay thing that taints my perception of Mary Kay ladies. I think it's Mary Kay Ladies.
I spent some time researching MK this afternoon (for my novel) and there are some really sad stories out there. Directors are expected to buy a Director's Suit every year, for about $400.00. And they are ugly suits. Women are pressured to quit their day jobs- "You have to show up to go up" is a common Mary Kay saying.
I am sure there are good, honest women out there, selling makeup and working hard. But more often , I hear about women who put thousands of dollars of product on their credit cards in order to move up to the next Super Pearl of Love and Understanding Level.
But I digress.
The point is, that I have this prejudice inside me.
Such a journey of self-discovery this noveling has become.

1 comment:

  1. Some of my best friends are Mary Kay ladies.

    ReplyDelete