Monday, November 9, 2009

8 things I did not expect about writing my novel


1. One of my characters is going to become a carny. He has been looking for a job, and thanks to Jeremy's facebook post about carnies, he found the perfect occupation.

2. One of my characters is a cross-dresser.

3. So far, nearly 20,000 words in, it is a lot easier than I had imagined.

4. It is also fun. It's like reading a book, only it's the best Choose Your Own Adventure book ever.

5. I thought I would be able to make room in my consciousness for my story to unfold and still maintain my blog. I was wrong. The story pretty much takes up everything.

6. I put a real-life story from the newspaper into my story. Like Law and Order, ripped from the headlines.

7. Even though it is going well and it is fun, I am starting to think it isn't super-awesome.

8. One of my characters lives in a yurt. By choice!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'm proud of you - this is an amazing feat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt if very many authors turned out really good books on their first effort. The point is to make the first effort.
    I love how your characters seem to be taking over the story and surprising you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think one of your characters should be a cross-dressing carny.

    ReplyDelete