Sunday, November 15, 2009

Things I learned this week: Teen Retreat edition

This was another fun weekend. It started Friday, when I took Madison and another girl from our troop to a camp near Portland for a Girl Scout older girl retreat. Madison met up with a friend she had made at Summer camp- the three of them are pictured above. Then, on Saturday, we hurried home because Spencer had won tickets to the Ducks game. He had two tickets, so he took Madison. I went along for the ride, and killed three or four hours in Eugene on a Saturday night while they watched the game. Here's what I learned:

* I learned that things turn out okay if I sit down and get out of the way. The retreat was a girl-planned, girl led activity. Basically, the adults were chauffeurs. I showed up, was shown a seat close to the fire, and watched the girls have a great time. They even did the meals themselves. I wish that the girls would have learned that you can't quiet a group by yelling for them to be quiet. The weekend was successful and fun for the girls, but damn, the noise that 25 excited girls can make in a one-room lodge is sometimes painful.

* I learned how to play Apples to Apples. We were asked to bring board games, so I brought Apples to Apples, which has been stored, unopened, in our game closet since either last Christmas or the one before it. My family loves games, we bring them to lots of family functions. So, we get games as gifts. And it never fails that we get a game for four or more players every year. They sure look fun.
Anyway, I brought Apples to Apples to the retreat, and the girls taught me how to play. It couldn't be simpler, and it is fun and funny.

* I learned that Autzen stadium really is incredibly loud. I was inside Trader Joe's, a good half mile away from the stadium as the crow flies, and I could hear the crowd. Inside the store!

* I learned that when the inside of your car is clean, it seems to run better.

* I learned that if it weren't for write-ins, it would be harder to make any progress on my novel. Writing at home is difficult at times, but at the write-ins, not writing is hard. I'm afraid to stop clicking the keys for too long. There is peer pressure.

1 comment:

  1. thought you droppped off the face of the earth...glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete