Sunday, November 8, 2009

Things I learned this week: 18,000 words edition

So I am 18,000 words into my novel when I learn a thing that makes kind of a huge difference- one of my characters is on methadone to treat his meth addiction. Only, what I learned is that methadone doesn't help with meth addiction. So now my character is lying about his drug of choice. What a shifty loser, still in denial.

I also learned that Mennonites do not take oaths. They figure that since God told them to always tell the truth, it doesn't make sense to take an oath to be more truthful at some times than others.

I learned that bees do pee, but they don't like to do it in the hive. They like to do it in my eye.

I learned that crossdressers refer to being dressed as their biological gender as being "in drab."

I learned that the clothes that are donated to Goodwill, but not sold on the sales floor because they are outdated/soiled/ripped are baled together and sold by the unit to wholesalers, who ship them to third world countries, where they are sold. Not given away.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for taking the methadone information and reshaping your story to include that.

    Don't forget to double-space, indent and have a thesis that you can intersperse throughout the story.

    I can't wait to read this work of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This made me laugh!!!

    ReplyDelete