Saturday, November 7, 2009

Marching Band competition

Tonight, Madison and I went to Reser Stadium to watch a high school marching band competition. Madison gets points for band by attending musical performances.
We sat through 4 hours of high school marching bands in the cold, on bleachers. Mercifully, it did not rain.
I like marching bands. My high school did not have one, and neither did any of the other schools in our league, so I don't know a lot about what to expect from a high school marching band.
They all sounded good.
I just don't get all the flag twirlers and dancers and rifle throwers. watching some of the bands was like watching a three-ring circus- I wasn't sure where to look, there was so much going on.
I guess that must be a good thing, because the top two bands had a lot of diversions.

Then, the OSU marching band played. They did their halftime show from last weekend- a medley of the Time Warp, Highway to Hell, and Thriller.
They didn't do the Time Warp dance, but their flag twirlers did. The whole band, save for the drum line and the sousaphones, did the Thriller dance. And it was awesome. Worth the 4 hour wait.

1 comment:

  1. I love a really good marching band. I am always disappointed that the college game shows on TV spend their half-time talking about football, rather than showing the bands - some of which are outstanding.
    I hope Madison gets the chance to participate one day.

    ReplyDelete