Monday, July 20, 2009

8 things I would plant in my garden (if I had a garden )


A month or so ago, I bought two tomato plants and a basil plant, and put them in pots on my patio. They are doing okay, I have fruit on one of the tomato plants, and I am eager for the tomatoes to turn red. While I am happy with my two pots, They remind me of all the vegetables I could be growing, if I had time and patience and less dogs. Here is what would be in my ideal garden:

*Zucchini, or as I call it, "Free Squash." I can't grow it here, I've tried twice. After failing to grow zucchini on two occasions, I gave up. I mean, how humiliating.
Before we moved here, we lived in Stayton, and we planted our first garden. I guess I left my husband to do some planting alone, because he planted an antire packet of zucchini seeds, about 10 hills worth, in a row about 50 feet long. We had lots of zukes that year.

*Raspberries. Twice, my dad has lived in homes where a previous owner has had a raspberry patch, and I was pissed both times he moved. How I love those soft furry berries.

* Peas- the fat, sweet kind.

*Green beans- so that I could can them. They are one of the only vegetables that my daughter realizes that she enjoys.

* Artichokes- I have seen them grown around here, and I recently discovered how much I enjoy eating fresh artichokes. I want to try it.

* Rhubarb- we had a plant in the front yard up until my husband sprayed roundup on it a couple years ago. It made good pie.

* Nasturtiums- my mom let some nasturtiums take over her garden a few years ago. They are so pretty and fun to eat in salads, the little buds taste like radish before they open.

* Lemon thyme- my second favorite salad garnish.

No comments:

Post a Comment