Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I have a confession to make

This is the story of the worst part of my trip.

I have a little dog to go with my RV. I also have a wicker basket on my bicycle. When people see my basket, they invariably ask if my dog, Tina, rides in the basket.
The answer is no. Tina doesn't ride in the basket, she doesn't wear sweaters, she doesn't yip, she doesn't go in my handbag. Tina mostly sleeps.

One night in La Pine, I had had maybe one glass of wine too many when I decided to give it a try. I got the pad from Tina's dog bed and put it into my basket. Then I put Tina in my basket.

She didn't look too uncomfortable. She didn't exactly lie down or wag her tail, but she sorta leaned against the side of the basket and peeked over. We went for a slow ride. 100 yards or so, no problem. U-turn, no problem. We returned to our starting point, and I called for Spencer to come watch.
Spencer came to see, and as I took off again, Tina bailed. Maybe she was uncomfortable in the basket, maybe she was trying to get to Spencer, who knows. She landed on her head. No whimper, no noise, no bark. Almost immediately after she landed, I scooped her up and told her how sorry I was. I took her and her cushion to the trailer, apologizing the whole way.

When I set her down near her bed, I noticed something was wrong. She was walking in circles, as if she were very slowly chasing her tail. This was the beginning of a terrible seizure.

She has had seizures before, rarely. I have never witnessed one. It was awful. It took about 3 minutes for the violent jerking to subside, followed by a longer period of blindness. Once she regained her sight, her back legs were paralyzed for about an hour.

Eventually, of course, she returned to normal. The next day, she was enjoying sleeping the central Oregon sunshine like nothing had ever happened. If anything good came of her seizure, it was that Spencer remembered all of her previous seizures, and realized that they had all been preceded by falls (out of bed, out of kids' arms), which explains why they are so rare- a truly epileptic dog has seizures more often. We had previously assumed that the falls were caused by the beginning of the seizure.

So there's that.

2 comments:

  1. Poor poor Tina - she's just not cut out to be a basket dog. I hope she's ok...

    ReplyDelete
  2. obviously, the reason Tina has such short legs is that she is meant to stay close to the ground. I hope she feels better.

    ReplyDelete