Thursday, July 30, 2009

Motivation Station


Tomorrow, my cousin Megan is walking her first half marathon. 13 miles is a long way to go... and for additional challenge, one of those miles is the Tacoma Narrows bridge- and Megan is afraid of heights. She's nervous, she's having doubts... but I know she will finish, and in less than 4.5 hours. It's just a matter of putting one foot in front of the other... over and over.
Here are some suggestions for a playlist for the half. I know it's not 13 miles worth of music... but these are songs that I think should be mixed in.

Poundcake Van Halen- It's kinda impossible not to walk like a supermodel if this is playing in your head.

You Get What You Give New Radicals- Perfect for "pushing through"

Where the Streets Have No Name U2 - While the opening line, "I want to run..." may be better suited to...running, it's still a good song with a good message.

Let's Dance to Joy Division The Wombats- Has nothing to do with running, or personal victories... but it's a catchy little disco number. A hard-to-be-discouraged song.

Mama Said Knock You Out LL Cool J- "I'm gonna take this itty bitty world by storm... and I'm just getting warm." Enough said.

Ray of Light Madonna - A workout standard for a reason.

These Boots are Made for Walking Nancy Sinatra

Body Movin' Beastie Boys - As far as I know, this is Beastie Boys' only dance number.

Lose Yourself Eminem- It's difficult to believe that a song that includes a reference to puking up mom's spaghetti can be inspirational.

Topaz and Follow Your Bliss The B-52s - I think these are pretty songs to drive, run, or walk to. They are sort of soundtrack-y.

Be OK Ingrid Michaelson -uptempo, cute, catchy, fun. The lyrics are only mildly depressing... try substituting "aching feet" for "broken heart"?

You and Me Dave Matthews Band I think if Dave was telling me, "You and me together, we can do anything, baby," I would believe him. I would walk 13 miles with my arms out, spinning.

Good Luck, Megan! You can do it!

2 comments:

  1. Megan - you go, girl!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lose Yourself - now that's a great song. It even pumps me up to do things like the dishes.

    Maybe sometime you can do a half with me. Not running of course.

    Thanks for the motivational post. I'm going to do what I can, one step at a time.

    Thanks for the encouragement Pat!

    ReplyDelete