Friday, July 10, 2009

I'm a proud mom.

After our week of camping, Madison got to go camping for another week, at girl scout day camp in Lebanon. This is noteworthy because she camped with girls from another Service Unit (town), she completed her Program Aid training, which qualifies her to be a Program Aid at next year's camp, and she spent the night at camp with the other PAs and PAs In Training (PAITS).

You may remember a few weeks back we went on a field trip with the girl scouts to the manufactured home plant and hydroelectric plant, among other places. This trip was to lay the ground work for badges that Madison and the other Older Girls would be earning.

On Sunday, I spent the night with Madison in her new tent, with her new friend Amber, pictured above. The camp directors asked for adult help, so I helped all that I could, which was on Monday and Friday. I was so impressed with all the work the organizers did to put this camp together, and all the opportunities they presented to the girls. In one week, Madison and the other girls:
*learned to take photographs from an accomplished photgrapher (who took the above photo)
*learned to read a star map and charted constellations with an astronomer.
*made rockets.
*made paper.
*sampled water quality.
*performed skits.
*sang songs.
*made cookies.
*blew giant bubbles.
*made a terrarium and an aquarium.
*set up and maintained a recycling station.

And those are the "big ones"... there were all kinds of smaller activities happening all around camp.

At the end of camp, there was an award ceremony, Madison had earned 4 badges and her PA pin. She worked hard and I am very proud of her.

Then, after the younger girls left, the adults and older girls were called to a meeting where other women complained about the lack of free time at camp and threatened not to come back next year. I hope they stay home and enjoy their free time.

2 comments:

  1. Good for Madison. It's hard to be a Girl Scout and I think people forget it's more than cookies and camp.

    I love her Einsteiny science apron.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect Madison will remember this summer her whole life. I am a proud Mom, too.

    ReplyDelete