Monday, October 12, 2009

Eight things to enjoy about my husband being out of town

Sometime next week, my husband will be out of town for a while. I can't be more specific than that, because my mom gets mad at me if she thinks I put too much stalker bait on my blog. So, listen up potential stalkers (the following may or may not be true): My husband might be out of town, but he might come back on a moment's notice, and also I have weapons and mean dogs and I will be on my period and I am NOT shaving my legs. So if hairy and cranky is not your cup of tea, move on.

Here's what I am looking forward to:

*Sleeping diagonally- The best part of the single life is the ability to have my head one one side of the bed and my feet at the other.

* Seafood- My daughter and I may have iodine poisoning by the time he gets back...

* TV- If I am being honest, the reason I don't watch too much television is because it is pretty much always tuned to sports. With Spencer gone, I'll be able to watch Dancing with the Stars and Glee and VH1 and all the other gay stuff I watch.

* Picking out our Halloween costumes- we are going to a party when he gets back, and I am in charge of costumes. I have no idea what we will be. I think the party is mostly outside, so I am leaning toward Eskimos or Ski Patrol dudes.

*Losing a little weight- I am going to take this opportunity to eat all the weird healthy stuff that is inconvenient to eat with him around, like whole grain bread and bean...stuff. I will definitely be bacon-free.

*Preparing a place to write- I would like to make a small corner of some room conducive to writing my novel.

* Strong coffee, everyday.- I like my coffee robust, my husband prefers a more subtle cuppa. Usually, this means I make him a pot in the drip coffeemaker and I make a pot in the french press, or if time is an issue, one of us chokes down the other's brew.

* Just enough autonomy- It's nice to be self-reliant. There was a time a few years ago when I was home by myself all week, and he was only home on weekends. This meant that if something went wrong on Monday, I had to figure out how to fix it or wait until the weekend. Usually, I could figure out how to fix it, or who to call to get it fixed. I've become something of an amateur plumber over the years. It's nice to know that I can be self-reliant, but I have to admit that there is a lot of comfort to be had knowing that I have a safety net coming home to fix things if I really screw up.

Next week, my 8 things will undoubtedly be the things I hate about being a temporary single mom.

1 comment:

  1. They are nice vacations, aren't they? Since every marketing genius is adding the phrase 'cation' to the end of common words, I can safely say you'll be on a spousecation.

    ReplyDelete