Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Let's go bowling!

Today was Science Bowl tryouts. Madison's science teacher asked her to come, so she did. I stood outside the classroom and listened to the tryouts, because I am a helicopter mom. I hover.
The first five kids to answer six questions correctly would be on the team. There were about 15 kids in the room, and for a while, I was nervous.
I did Knowledge Bowl in high school, but my school was so small that there were no tryouts, we just signed up if Mr. Smith asked us to. Our team would change with the sports seasons. We were definitely stronger in the spring, after football and basketball were over. We would travel to other schools for small meets every four to six weeks. We had a district meet at the end of the year, and one year we brought home a trophy. I remember that all the questions were extra hard and Evan, our physics guy, was getting a lot of buzzer time. We went to a tie breaker round and we all pinned our hopes on Evan. The question was "The right triangle is the logo of what fashion designer?" In a room full of nerds, I was the only one who knew Liz Claiborne, and the tie was broken. That was my competitive academics moment.
It turns out that I had no reason to be nervous about Madison's tryout. She was the first kid to six, she handed in her bell and was congratulated by her teacher and classmates- now her coach and teammates. It took quite a while for the next kid to get to six- another girl. Eventually, three boys knocked everyone else out, and the team is formed. They will practice twice a week until January, when they travel to Portland for the Regional Science Bowl, a one-day tournament for all the marbles.
Here is a sample question:

The evolution of flowers in many plants is believed to have depended most directly on the presence of which of the following:
W) insect pollinators
X) certain predatory carnivores
Y) symbiotic plant viruses
Z) fungi

Congratulations, Madison.

3 comments:

  1. I was just going to say that. The answer is W. But damn, what hard questions!

    Congrats Madison - it's great to be a nerd.

    And I love the term Helicopter Mom. My friend, Chris, let me in on the term a few years ago and it cracks me up every time I see it or hear it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Come on, Madison, give us a chance! I just read a big article in National Geographic about flowers - it's always about sex.

    ReplyDelete