Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The universe wants me to do cardio.

I've been preoccupied by my Pouch Revolution for the past couple days. Today I went through my closets, reexamining my purses and bags with an eye toward reconstruction. Nothing.
On my way to the grocery store, I thought I probably ought to check out the Salvation Army to see what sort of pouches they had to offer. They had many Clinique and Lancome giveaway pouches, but nothing that struck me as the perfect pouch. (The pouch suggested in yesterday's comments is close to what I want, but I either want leather or fabric, not faux leather. Especially not faux ostrich) The truth is, I am happy to have a mission for a while. I can look in thrift shops for vintage pouches, I can look in the fabric store for great fabric if I decide I want to sew my own pouch.
Anyway, I digress. At the Salvation Army my daughter and I also found a vintage stationary bike. It was a substantial piece, and it had three gauges- a speedometer, an odometer, and a kilowatt meter, which made me wonder if this was some sort of electricity generating stationary bike. Madison and I each took a spin on the bike, but none of the gauges worked and I really had no intention of spending twenty perfectly good dollars on a exercise bike. So off to the grocery store we went.
And on the way home, a block from our house, we spotted an exercise bike in someone's yard, next to a pink sink with a "free" sign leaning on them. Well, the Good Lord didn't bless me with a station wagon so that I could drive right by free crap, you know. So I slowed down, backed up, and loaded the EXERsystem 5000 into the back of my car...and drove away real quick before anyone could see.
A couple minutes later, we had the bike in the living room and gave it a good once-over. It all seems to be in fine shape, a little rust here, a little dust there. The speedometer/odometer doesn't work, but Spencer says he can replace the speedometer cable if I really need to know how fast I'm not going.
And that's the story of how I acquired my first ever piece of home exercise equipment. You can see by the photo above* that the EXERsystem 5000 is a quality machine for quality people. Like me.

*That's not my bike, but mine looks just like it. I stole the photo from here .

3 comments:

  1. That is an excellent stationary bike. I think Spencer should re-create the photo and you guys could haul the bike around to various Halloween parties where Spencer would be that same guy.

    Sorry I disappointed you with the pouch link.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You didn't disappoint at all! You opened up new avenues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now all you need is a Speedo, headband and white gym socks.

    ReplyDelete