Sunday, October 18, 2009

Things I learned this week- Balloon Boy was a HOAX! edition

I'm so disappointed in myself for not smelling the rat that was Falcon's dad. Gawker has a pretty damning, although admittedly paid interview with a guy who says that Falcon's dad has spent a good deal of time thinking of ways to get the media's, and therefore the nation's, attention. Bastard.
Here's what I learned this week:

* I learned that Trader Joe's in Lake Oswego had its grand re-opening today. Madison and I serendipitously discovered that they had live music and face painting.

* I learned that I am just a big old softie. Regular CBL readers know that I cried all the way through Where the Wild Things Are- I am not sure why. Partly because I was so happy to see what I had always imagined on the screen, and partly because it was a pretty touching movie. It never occurred to me that Max's mom was a single mom.
Then, today, at the ariport, we were witnesses to a military homecoming. We saw soldiers coming home, kids running into their fathers' arms, and husbands and wives reunited after who knows how long. It was difficult to contain my urge to applaud.

* I learned that my daughter wants to be a wiccan for Halloween. She decided this because we found a white dress at the thrift store that is obviously a Ren Faire-type chemise. She said she wanted it so that she can be a wiccan healer. She is going to carry a book. So, this week, I get to learn more about what a wiccan is because I thought they were either some sort of devil worshipper or crazy hippy witches.

* And of course I learned about the dog grooming festivals where talented groomers fashion standard poodles into teenage mutant ninja turtles, Gene Simmons, zebras, dragons and other equally amazing creatures.

2 comments: